Monday, March 2, 2009

Честита Баба Марта

Chestita Baba Marta (literal translation = Happy Grandmother March)

The frontrunner for my favorite Bulgarian tradition has just arrived - the 1st of March is the day where all Bulgarians greet each other with ЧЕСТИТА БАБА МАРТА. This greeting is followed by the giving of Martenitsas - red and white interwoven threads that symbolize health and happiness.



The streets are lined with booths selling all types of martenitsas, and every Bulgarian I have seen in the past few days has either a martenitsa as a bracelet or pinned to a coat. No, seriously, EVERY person I have seen since yesterday has one of these.


I have heard two different ways of using your martenitsa - I think the tradition states that when you see the first stork, you remove your martenitsa and tie it to a tree and make a wish. Others have told me that when you see the first bud of a tree, you tie your martenitsa to that tree and then make a wish. Since I have a couple of Martenitsas already, I'll be shooting for both. Moreover, my Bulgarian colleagues have told me that I should be ready for an onslaught of students giving Martenitsas to me when we return to school on Wednesday. Let the Chestita Baba Marta's begin. And here's to lots of red, white, and wishes. Nas Drave!!

ЧЕСТИТА БАБА МАРТА

No comments: